enhancement requests

Robert Locke rlocke at ralii.com
Fri Mar 14 13:57:31 EDT 2014

On Fri, 2014-03-14 at 11:54 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> "dave at peregrinedesign" <dave at peregrinedesign.com> writes:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Thank you for your development of Gnucash. I have recently switched
> > from Quickbooks.
> >
> > There are several requests I have, but the most prominent in my mind
> > would be the ability to combine multiple customer payments into one
> > bank deposit. It is very inconvenient to reconcile and perform other
> > bookkeeping tasks when the bank statement shows one combined deposit
> > but Gnucash has to show each one separately.
> >
> > I have seen this as a request for Gnucash elsewhere. The method is to
> > assign payments received to a holding deposit account then run the
> > deposit combining all payments.
>
> This is the best way to do it.

I'll echo Derek's suggestion here.

When I switched from Quickbooks to Gnucash back in 2003/4, one of the
first things I implemented was an "Undeposited Funds" Asset account,
which, if I recall correctly, matched how it was done in Quickbooks.
Checks/Payments would always go to the Undeposited Funds account.
Deposits would transfer from Undeposited Funds to the Checking Account.

My big challenge back then was figuring out how to deal with application
of payments to invoices. In Quickbooks I was able to apply a payment to
a particular invoice. Gnucash was treating each of my customer's as
having a running balance with payments applied to the total. I got
around it by "reconciling/clearing" the invoices/payments. I could then
just run a report of "unreconciled" invoices to track what a customer
might still owe me.

--Rob