problem for getting on-line quote

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Mar 15 16:31:29 EDT 2014

On Mar 15, 2014, at 9:35 AM, Stephen Ni <stephenni2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi John:
>    thanks for the information.  I went to CPAN and downloaded Finance-Quote-1.27.  I unzip it and untar it.  Then I try to follow the instruction to install it as follow
>
>     perl Makefile.PL
>     make
>     make test
>     make install
>
> I tried the above command in my window7 cmd window.  When it gets to the make (2nd command), I see following error:
> 'make' is not recognized as an internal or external command
>
> I guess make is only for unix or Linux.  What can I do to install this perl module for window 7?

First of all, please copy the list on all of your replies, using "reply all".

No, make works on Windows too, but only if you have the right software installed, but it's not included with Windows; you have to install it separately. It's not really necessary, though. You're trying to upgrade the hard way.

The simplest way to update Finance::Quote is to run the "Install Online Quote Retrieval" command from GnuCash's Start menu folder. There are a couple of reasons that might fail: If you have installed ActiveState perl 5.16, ActiveState is still serving FQ v 1.18; you'll need to uninstall ActiveState perl and either install 5.12 or 5.14, or just run "Install Online Quote Retrieval" which will install Strawberry perl if it doesn't find a perl installation already present on your system. One user has reported that his anti-virus software interfered with the upgrade and that he had to temporarily disable it.

Alternatively, you can use the package manager for your perl: If you're using ActiveState perl, you can run their package manager from the Start menu. It's graphical; you need only find Finance::Quote and select it for upgrade. If you're using Strawberry perl, open a command shell and run "cpan" from Strawberry's 'bin' directory. It will ask you a bunch of questions to which you can take the default (i.e., just hit "return") for all of them. Once done with that, use "install Finance::Quote" from the cpan> prompt, and cpan should do the rest.

Regards,
John Ralls