Problem installing Finance::Quote 1.27 SOLVED

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 07:50:24 EDT 2014

On 3/16/2014 4:00 AM, Chris Good wrote:
> Hi Erik,
>
> I've also googled this but while there a many hits about people recommending turning off anti-virus while installing, there's not much in the way of real solutions.
>
> I've searched the anti virus logs but found nothing helpful.
> I've raised this with McAfee and maybe something useful will come from them.
>
> Is https://metacpan.org/release/Perl-Dist-Strawberry the appropriate place for this issue?
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Regards, Chris Good
>
>> On 16 Mar 2014, at 7:20 pm, Erik Colson <eco at ecocode.net> wrote:
>>
>> "Chris Good" <chris.good at ozemail.com.au> writes:
>>
>>> Is this a known problem?
>>>
>>> I tried searching https://rt.cpan.org/Public for virus & McAfee but didn't
>>> find anything relevant.
>> Hi,
>>
>> Personally, I was not aware of this. But by googling I could find some
>> ideas.
>>
>> It might be due to the an error occuring because the AV removes needed
>> files (is there a log of this in NAV ?)  without telling the user it
>> did. Or maybe due to slowing down the file opening process when
>> real-time checking is on, and therefor making Perl think a file is
>> missing (because it takes too much time to open a file) ?
>>
>> This would need some inquiry on a windows machine equipped with
>> NAV. Which I don't have...
>>
>> It might need a fix in:
>> - Activestate/Strawbery Perl
>> - Gnucash script to install F::Q
>> - F::Q or dependencies
>> - NAV
>>
>> No real clue there and no option for me to check this out.
>> --
>> erik colson

I have Windows 7 running on one of my machines with
McAfee(unfortunately) which I have tried three times unsuccessfully to
replace (Another story).  I can attest to that AV product really slowing
things down, sometimes causing Thunderbird, Firefox and/or GnuCash to
appear to hang for 30 to 60 seconds.  Turning off real time scanning
will break up the log jam.  For whatever reason, 6 gig of Ram seems
inadequate at times on this machine.  Closing Thunderbird or Firefox
periodically also helps.

David C