Write check to brokerage account

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 09:09:03 EDT 2014

On 3/17/2014 6:24 AM, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
> On 03/17/2014 05:32 AM, David Carlson wrote:
>> On 3/16/2014 9:35 PM, John Ralls wrote:

>>> Hard to say, there's not enough info. Open the checking account,
>>> look at the transaction, and make sure that the account in the
>>> Transfer column is whatever the brokerage cash account is called.
>>>
>>> Regards, John Ralls
>>>
>> Maybe it got lost in the mail.....
>>
>> David C
> Not lost. The check was cashed. So in addition to getting misdirected,
> whoever did receive it managed to cash it, and to do that, had to sign
> the check with the brokerage accounts signature. The O.P.'s bank should
> be able to find out who did that, or at least what the bank was that
> cashed it.

I was trying to make a joke.  Sorry.

However, if the check was cashed but the funds did not appear in the
client's brokerage account, that is very likely a criminal matter.

For those of us (including me) who have lost money to theft via one
means or another, how we treat it in GnuCash would depend on our
individual requirements.  In my case, the bank voided my Debit card
within hours of the first suspicious transaction, but four 'small'
out-of-state transactions had already cleared between 9 pm and 2 am
local time while I had my card at home.  Actually, I was in the bank the
next day for other business when they informed me of the problem.  They
were nice enough to reimburse me for all the losses.  Since there were
offsetting debit and credit memos in my checking account register, I
just passed them on to GnuCash.  When I reconcile, I will probably
create a theft loss expense account to hold the other side of those
transactions.

David C