V 2.4.11: depreciation transaction

R. Victor Klassen rvklassen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 17:25:26 EDT 2014

1.  Create an asset for the truck.  Do not give it an initial balance.
2. Create an entry in your checking account covering the payment for the truck - the “category” is your new asset.
3. Create a second entry to cover the other items.

I’ve not done recurring items, but I’m told it’s doable.

As for the depreciation, do that at the end of the year, by taking the amount off of the asset and into a depreciation (expense) account.
Not sure about your rules, but I’m thinking that the first year you may only get to do $500, and then $1000 for four years, and the remaining $500 the final year.

You could set those up as recurring as well, don’t know it’s worth it.