Conversion from Quickbooks Pro

gnucash at ware4.com gnucash at ware4.com
Wed Mar 19 09:27:05 EDT 2014

Hello all,

This is Mike, a small business owner from the Detroit, MI area. I'm spanking
new to Gnucash - just downloaded it. I want to convert from Quickbooks and
get away from that monopoly, but from what I've read, there's no automatic
method to convert from Quickbooks Pro (2011) to Gnucash.or is there? I
suppose that would be question #1 for all you Gnucash gurus. Question #2
would be: is there anyone for hire that can do it for me? From what I read,
it appears to require printing reports to Excel and post-processing the
files, dealing with Journal Entries in a special way, etc.

I have the software smarts to do the import since I'm a former software
programmer, but I don't have enough accounting smarts to know if the end
result is correct and, importantly, what needs to be tweaked in the final
files to make sure I'm using Best Practices. If there's no automatic import
and nobody to help, then Question #3 is: is there a partially-finished or
abandoned project that I can complete? I don't mind dusting off my 'C' for
the greater good. But it needs to be done by May 31 - that's when my
Quickbooks will stop downloading and they're going to force me to purchase
QB 2014.

Cheers,

Mike