See amount on a voided transaction?

AC gnucash at acarver.net
Thu Mar 20 03:13:10 EDT 2014

On 3/19/2014 19:46, Mike Alexander wrote:
> On Mar 19, 2014, at 3:55 AM, AC <gnucash at acarver.net> wrote:
>>
>> Is it possible to display the amount/value on a transaction that
>> is marked void?  Right now if I void a transaction, the
>> debit/credit columns blank out so I can no longer see the amount.
>> It would be nice to be able to see the original amounts for
>> tracking purposes.  I use the void feature occasionally when I have
>> to void a check because it is somehow lost (lost in the mail,
>> misplaced, etc.) but I like to have a visual reminder of what the
>> amount was supposed to be.  I don't know about Quicken but MS Money
>> did this for voided transactions.
>
> At least in some case, if not always, the original amount is stored
> with the transaction, it's just not displayed.  At least the data is
> there so it could be displayed.  I'm not sure how to display it.  If
> would be confusing to just display it in the normal amount and value
> fields in the register.

I see that the data is still there since it comes back when I remove the
void flag.  But, at least to me, it's not confusing since MS Money
always showed the value but, in the running balance column, wrote
"***VOID***".  GC also marks "VOID" in the running balance column but
opts to hide the value in the credit/debit fields.

One of the other comments to the thread was to write the value in the
memo field.  That works unless I want to search or generate reports of
voided transactions.  In those cases the original value is very useful.