Conversion from Quickbooks Pro

Jeff Earickson jaearick at colby.edu
Wed Mar 19 11:27:56 EDT 2014

I will second this suggestion.  I converted from Quicken 2007 (not
Quickbooks) in mid February.  I fought with qif import/export for a bit,
ended up with huge numbers in the Imbalance-USD category that I didn't know
what to do with -- frustration.  Then I decided to just start fresh from
January 1 and reenter my data manually from that point (using bank
statements from Dec 31 as "Opening Balance"). I did this for checking and
savings first, then expanded to other accounts later.

Yes, it was a fair amount of tedium and work.  But I learned about Gnucash
in the process, how to create accounts, etc.  The Gnucash guide proved to
be a great resource for the "how do I do this?" issues.

I am still keeping Quicken around to refer to prior years data, but I have
successfully made the switch to Gnucash going forward.  I'm happy with the
results.

Jeff