Conversion from Quickbooks Pro

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 13:27:49 EDT 2014

On 19 Mar 2014, at 15:27, Jeff Earickson <jaearick at colby.edu> wrote:

> I will second this suggestion.  I converted from Quicken 2007 (not
> Quickbooks) in mid February.  I fought with qif import/export for a bit,
> ended up with huge numbers in the Imbalance-USD category that I didn't know
> what to do with -- frustration.  Then I decided to just start fresh from
> January 1 and reenter my data manually from that point (using bank
> statements from Dec 31 as "Opening Balance"). I did this for checking and
> savings first, then expanded to other accounts later.
>
> Yes, it was a fair amount of tedium and work.  But I learned about Gnucash
> in the process, how to create accounts, etc.  The Gnucash guide proved to
> be a great resource for the "how do I do this?" issues.
>
> I am still keeping Quicken around to refer to prior years data, but I have
> successfully made the switch to Gnucash going forward.  I'm happy with the
> results.
>
> Jeff

I support this method too, Tommy.

I had been using TAS Books in my business and for my own personal accounts, and had to decide whether to pay up for the annual upgrades when I retired.

I ran both TAS Books and Gnucash in parallel for one full financial year, and then abandoned TAS Books.

There is no way of importing TAS Books files into Gnucash, but during the overlap year I entered transactions into TAS while continuing to print out a transaction log after each session - I’d been doing this in any case, as a form of backup, but it made the chore of entering the same transactions twice much less onerous, as the transactions were neatly listed in a consistent form, and I could just mark each one as I put it through Gnucash.

I recommend that you set up a chart of accounts in Gnucash, with opening balances etc., exactly mimicking the state of your finances at the beginning of your current financial year - presumably 1st June 2013? - and populate your Gnucash file by keying in transactions from the Quickbooks from the same date. As you go, you should reconcile your bank and credit card accounts, and pick up and correct any discrepancies. This way you’ll become familiar with Gnucash while still having the comfort blanket of your existing software and the ability to cross-reference.

You’ll find a wealth of experience here to support and guide you.

Michael