problem for getting on-line quote

Stephen Ni stephenni2000 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 22 21:17:30 EDT 2014

Hi John:
   I downloaded Strawberry Perl, and then try to run the "Install Online Quote Retrieval" command from GnuCash's Start menu folder.  I get the following errors

Error installing package 'Finance-Quote': Could not locate a PPD file for package Finance-Quote
* Run gnc-fq-check
You need to install the following Perl modules:
   Finance::Quote

So I ran CPAN client command from Strawberry Perl Start menu folder, and type in
   install Finance::Quote

It started to retrieve some tar file and started execution, then I get following errors

dmake.exe: Error code 129, while making 'blib\arch\auto\Bit\Vector\Vector.dl
   STBEY/Bit-Vector-7.3.tar.gz
    C:\strawberry\c\bin\dmake.exe -- NOT OK
 Running make test
    Can't test without successful make

What else can I do?

thanks

Stephen

On Tuesday, March 18, 2014 8:42 PM, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:

On Mar 18, 2014, at 7:25 PM, Stephen Ni <stephenni2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi Erik and John:
>   Here is what I have tried
>1)  uninstall ActiveState perl and then run "Install Online Quote Retrieval".  However, instead of installing Strawberry perl, it complains that it can not find a perl installation and exited
>2) I tried to download Activestate Perl 5.14 by going to their website.  But it seems that since it is not the latest version, it is not free and I have to pay for it.  Do you know if there is another place online where it offers 5.14 download for free?

Hmm. What version of GnuCash? I think Geert added the Strawberry stuff sometime last year.

You could install Strawberry manually from http://strawberryperl.com/

If Install Online Quote Retrieval won't do the right thing, open a command shell, make sure that Strawberry Perl is on the path, and run c:\Program Files (x86)\gnucash\bin\gnc-fq-update.

Regards,
John Ralls