Scheduled Transactions

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Wed Mar 26 13:53:00 EDT 2014

Hi,

On Wed, March 26, 2014 1:37 pm, Kris wrote:
> I have about 75 customers that I invoice on a monthly basis.  It would
> be much easier if I could just set these monthly invoices up as
> Scheduled Transactions, but, while the transactions/invoices do appear,
> they aren't linked to the customer and I can't edit them.  I also can't
> get rid of them, so I have hundreds of dollars of invoices for unknown
> customers.  :-D

OOPS, you duplicated your "posted invoice transactions" -- alas, these are
not actual invoices and due to the vagarities of the way Receivables are
implemented, you've created orphan transactions that are locked in place.
Alas, there is no recovery from this, short of going to a backup from
before you did it.

Unfortunately there are no "Scheduled Invoices".

> Is there a way to do this?  Thanks!

I can think of a few ways.  One, you could use the "Duplicate Invoice"
functionality to actually duplicate and then post invoices for each
customer.  However doing 75 of these a month is probably going to get
tedious quite quickly.

Two, you could TRY to use the Invoice importer.  I've never actually tried
this myself so I don't know how well it will work.

Three, you could use the python bindings to write a script to create your
invoices.  There has been some recent discussions on this on the list.
Note that this would only work for you if you build gnucash yourself; I
don't think anyone actually distributes gnucash with python enabled.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad new.

Good Luck,

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745