reports without decimals?

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Fri Mar 28 09:34:11 EDT 2014

Trizi wrote:

>The original question was about tweaking the reports - nothing was said about
>keeping books that way.
>
>I'm looking for the same thing ... an option in the reports that will allow
>me to display the final results with no decimals.  This is the way our
>government wants the tax forms filled out and I don't want to export to
>excel and fiddle with it - it's an easy enough programming task to add
>formatting.

Not really so easy. I too have to cope with this. It means some amounts
have to be fudged/adjusted.

The problem is that rounded(A) + rounded(B) /= rounded (A+B)     <<may
be equal; may not be equal>>

If you need a concrete example, suppose you have a split transaction,
the credit account is "cash" and the debit accounts are the expense
accounts  "printing" and "postage"  <<I do books for 501(c)3's --
sending out notice of annual meeting>>

                          cash                            303.64
         printing               203.30
        postage               100.34

In whole dollar amounts
                          cash                           304
        printing                 203
        postage                 100
              <<oops, the transaction is not in balance>>

Michael

PS: What I do is keep the books "straight" (actual amounts) and then do
the rounding (and possible fudging/adjustment) only once when filing
with agencies requiring "whole dollar". The fudging/adjustments may be
necessary because THEY (the governmental agencies) may be expecting
things to be in balance, say this year;s with last, etc.