reports without decimals?

R. Victor Klassen rvklassen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 18:08:18 EDT 2014

Many years ago I learned that the Canadian taxing authorities are willing to allow for small errors due to rounding.  Thus, if your math on the tax return, which is presented with numbers rounded both on the way to subtotals and in subtotals and totals, doesn’t work out, but it’s close enough, they trust your figures, and assume it was a rounding issue.  I forget how many dollars they allow to deviate in this way - perhaps five.

Thus you CAN, at least in this taxation regime, calculate everything to the penny (or fraction thereof, if you like), but report to the nearest dollar, and it doesn’t matter when rounded(A) + rounded(B) does not equal rounded(A+B).