2.6.3 from GetDeb crashing on Ubuntu 14.04

Ronal Morse ron at morsehouse.com
Thu May 1 17:25:17 EDT 2014

On 05/01/2014 12:46 PM, Tommy Trussell wrote:
> On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 11:31 AM, Ronal Morse <ron at morsehouse.com
> <mailto:ron at morsehouse.com>> wrote:
>

>     On 05/01/2014 09:35 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>

>         Personally I think it is easier just to build from source
>         yourself.
>
>         Colin
>

>     Normally, Colin, I'd agree with you, but this particular box isn't
>     set up with all the build tools required to do that, and I'd wager
>     most of the Ubuntu users on this list aren't set up to do builds
>     from source, either.  That doesn't mean they shouldn't be, and I'm
>     going to fix this one as soon as I get the round tuit, but in the
>     meantime I'm hopeful about just pulling over the two files from
>     the Utopic repository will address the problem at hand.
>
>     RBM
>

> At this moment Utopic and Trusty are largely similar, so using its
> packages may work for now. HOWEVER I believe the risk is when any of
> the libraries GnuCash depends upon get updated in Utopic, the compiled
> package may then no longer work in Trusty, or it may fail in an
> unpredictable way.
>
> JamesTk suggested (a few messages earlier in this discussion) that
> Ubuntu provides a process for updating buggy packages, The only
> process I know of is Backports. See this article about repositories:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu
>
> and this article about backports:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports
>
> The end of that second article links to the backport procedure. Anyone
> can request a package be backported. Note, however, that the requester
> should follow the package's progress through the backport process and
> that person and some others must test it, or it won't get approved.
>
> Once the package gets into the backports repository, all someone need
> do to install it is activate the backports repository on their machine
> and that version will appear as an update in update-manager.
>
>     -----
>     Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>     You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Yes, that certainly could be a problem in the future. I probably should
not have mentioned in my original post the part about unmet
dependencies.  Or, better yet, should have warned that if one sees a
call out for an unmet dependency to stop and not proceed further because
of the potential for introducing incompatibilities with other applications.

I think I gave Colin a bit of a short shrift earlier today. It seems the
"build-dep" command works well for bringing in all the packages required
to build Gnucash from source on Trusty (14.4).  That, coupled with the
concerns you raise, makes it a better way to get relief and brings a
solution to the table in less time than waiting for the backports
process to...ah...process.  Or, is that backport?

RBM

--
/Hope is not a Plan/