2.6.3 from GetDeb crashing on Ubuntu 14.04

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Thu May 1 14:46:22 EDT 2014

On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 11:31 AM, Ronal Morse <ron at morsehouse.com> wrote:

> On 05/01/2014 09:35 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>

>> Personally I think it is easier just to build from source yourself.
>>
>> Colin
>>

> Normally, Colin, I'd agree with you, but this particular box isn't set up
> with all the build tools required to do that, and I'd wager most of the
> Ubuntu users on this list aren't set up to do builds from source, either.
>  That doesn't mean they shouldn't be, and I'm going to fix this one as soon
> as I get the round tuit, but in the meantime I'm hopeful about just pulling
> over the two files from the Utopic repository will address the problem at
> hand.
>
> RBM

At this moment Utopic and Trusty are largely similar, so using its packages
may work for now. HOWEVER I believe the risk is when any of the libraries
GnuCash depends upon get updated in Utopic, the compiled package may then
no longer work in Trusty, or it may fail in an unpredictable way.

JamesTk suggested (a few messages earlier in this discussion) that Ubuntu
provides a process for updating buggy packages, The only process I know of
is Backports. See this article about repositories:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu

and this article about backports:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports

The end of that second article links to the backport procedure. Anyone can
request a package be backported. Note, however, that the requester should
follow the package's progress through the backport process and that person
and some others must test it, or it won't get approved.

Once the package gets into the backports repository, all someone need do to
install it is activate the backports repository on their machine and that
version will appear as an update in update-manager.