Best way to manage utilities

prl prl at ozemail.com.au
Thu May 1 22:17:31 EDT 2014

I'm on a supply charge plus fixed kWh price for my electricity. But my
supplier also has two other plans that have tiered pricing as you
describe (they're only economic for people whose electricity consumption
is higher than mine). The same supplier also has time-of-day pricing for
electricity, so it's definitely not a scheme restricted to phone
pricing. It would get even more complicated if I was on a solar feed-in
plan.

My natural gas and water charges are also tiered by quarterly usage.

I track phone & ISP costs, water usage, home energy use and home CO2
emissions in my utilities spreadsheet. I compare my actual electricity
costs against the cost I would pay if I had time-of-day pricing instead
(the difference has never been more than $2.50/quarter in either
direction). I just use an estimate based on the previous year+10% for
utility costs in my budget/planning spreadsheet (I never liked the
Gnucash budgeting system).

Peter