2.6.3 from GetDeb crashing on Ubuntu 14.04

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Tue May 13 11:16:55 EDT 2014

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 9:07 PM, Fast Radio <fastradio at yahoo.com> wrote:

> It is your fault for you problems.
> I use a Ubuntu derivative distribution (Linux Mint 32 bit mate) and have had zero problems.
> The package manager and all the regular resources wants to install 2.4.13.
> However "you" decided to do your own installation and not the recommended one.
> So why is it Ububtu's fault when they install GC 2.4.13 as default?

I believe you misunderstand. Your distro includes an older stable
version of GnuCash rather than the most recent stable release. That
doesn't make it "wrong" to install a more recent one (or to stay with
an older one). There's no shame in using the 2.4.13 version; it's just
not the latest release.

The distros are always behind because it takes some time to get
software distributed through the distro's regular channels. Your
distro's packages go through several distros: GnuCash --> Debian -->
Ubuntu --> Mint. Debian's process can take days or weeks, Ubuntu is
pegged to a Debian version every six months, and Mint is pegged to a
particular release of Ubuntu. SO in order to get a more recent version
either you (or someone packaging your distro) has to bypass the usual
order.

You can ALWAYS install the most recent version yourself, bypassing the
version available in the package manager; you might think of it as an
"added feature" of running linux. People who have no interest in
learning how to do this are often better off using the version that
has been tested and included in their package manager.

What I am trying to do is get a less buggy version of GnuCash included
in the 14.04 LTS (Long Term Support) aka "Trusty Tahr" release of
Ubuntu. Currently that version of Ubuntu includes GnuCash 2.6.1, but
2.6.3 fixes several important bugs.