trading account, currency exchange, and cash flow - bug or misunderstanding?

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Tue May 13 23:55:41 EDT 2014

--On May 13, 2014 6:04:35 PM -0700 gnucash.133518b at telus.net wrote:

> On 2014-05-12 11:56 PM, Mike Alexander wrote:
>> The fix for bug 622778 [1] doesn't handle trading accounts properly.
>> I'm not sure right now what "properly" means in this case, but the
>> cash flow report is unaware of their existence, which is not right.
>> I'll try to look into this when I get a chance.
>
> Having looked at the bug reports and related messages, I have to ask.
> How does the GnuCash cash flow report compare to mainstream
> accounting software and practises? What Tim Barber and John Halton
> are asking for makes sense to me, but Carsten has implemented it
> differently. It seems critical to me that GnuCash is able to produce
> a cash flow report that conforms with generally accepted accounting
> practises. I don't see evidence of consensus or consultation with
> bookkeeping experts on this issue and that concerns me.

I committed a change tonight that makes the cash flow report ignore
trading accounts.  This makes it work the way you seemed to be saying
it should work and seems to make sense in general.

What related messages are you referring to?  I don't see anything in
this bug report from either Tim Barber or John Halton.  I doubt that
anyone has audited the GnuCash cash flow report against GAAP.  I
personally certainly haven't.

         Mike