trading account, currency exchange, and cash flow - bug or misunderstanding?

gnucash.133518b at telus.net gnucash.133518b at telus.net
Tue May 13 21:04:35 EDT 2014

On 2014-05-12 11:56 PM, Mike Alexander wrote:
> The fix for bug 622778 [1] doesn't handle trading accounts properly. I'm
> not sure right now what "properly" means in this case, but the cash flow
> report is unaware of their existence, which is not right.  I'll try to
> look into this when I get a chance.

Having looked at the bug reports and related messages, I have to ask.
How does the GnuCash cash flow report compare to mainstream accounting
software and practises? What Tim Barber and John Halton are asking for
makes sense to me, but Carsten has implemented it differently. It seems
critical to me that GnuCash is able to produce a cash flow report that
conforms with generally accepted accounting practises. I don't see
evidence of consensus or consultation with bookkeeping experts on this
issue and that concerns me.

Carl