Custom Multicolumn Reports

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Thu May 15 10:51:24 EDT 2014

On Thursday 15 May 2014 07:35:28 John Ralls wrote:
> On May 15, 2014, at 6:28 AM, Michael Hendry <hendry.michael at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > On 15 May 2014, at 00:47, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.fremont.ca.us>
wrote:
> >> If you're using the Gnucash.app bundle from our web site, the file
> >> is in ~/Library/Application Support/gnucash/saved-reports-2.4.>
> > Thanks, John and Geert.
> >
> > I am indeed (now) using the 2.6.3 bundle, and the saved-reports-2.4
> > file is as described above. I stuck with 2.6.1 until I came across
> > a bug that affected me, as there seemed to be a lot of activity on
> > the list relating to this and subsequent versions.
> >
> > I’m not sure if the inaccurate hover-help on “Save Report
> > Configuration” and “Save Report Configuration As...” buttons
> > qualifies as a bug - it strikes me that it might be better to store
> > the file in ~/.gnucash/ on Macs as well as on the various other
> > Unix-like OSes.
> Maybe. But the standard location for support files on OSX is
> ~/Library/Application Support, and until 10.7 it was easier to go
> there in Finder than to ~/.gnucash. Since it's been that way for
> several years now, I'm not sure it's wise to change it.
>
> Depending on where the tool-tip is defined it might be easier to
> special-case it for OSX.

If possible I think that's the preferred approach. Each operating system
has its default directories to store user support data. We should
respect these.

Reminds me this should be fixed still on Windows. And even on linux the
freedesktop specification has been promoting ~/.conf/gnucash in favour
of ~/.gnucash for years now.

This particular string is hard coded in src/report/report-gnome/gnc-
plugin-page-report.c by the way. So it's fairly easy to special case.

Geert