Which report to see movement of cash from specific account

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue May 20 11:35:26 EDT 2014

Hi,

samalex <samalex at gmail.com> writes:

> I understand that transferring money between accounts won't show-up in a Cash
> Flow report, but that's basically what I need though I'm unsure how to see

You understand incorrectly.  The Cash Flow report exactly shows you the
flow of cash into and out of a (set of) account(s).  Imagine that you
lay all your accounts on a table and draw a circle around the "chosen"
set of accounts.  The Cash Flow report will show you all transactions
that cross that line.  It will not show you any transactions that are
purely inside the circle, nor will it show you any tranasctions that are
purely outside the circle.

SO.. If you want to see how you're spending money from a particular
account then run a Cash Flow report purely on that single account.

> it.  I want a report that has exactly what the Cash Flow report shows for
> any given account, but I also need it to show monies going into other
> accounts.  Basically I'm trying to compare what's moving into and out of my
> Checking account for the month to see what the difference is.  If the Cash
> Flow report would just let me add account transfers it'd be perfect, but I
> see it won't do that by design.  Any way to do this in another report?

If you want to see transfers then don't include the other end of the
transfer account in the Cash Flow account selection.

OR... Are you trying to see your total amount of Income and Expense --
which would be an Income Statement (Profit & Loss) report.