2.4.1 depreciation basics

Gregory Forster fgreg74 at gmail.com
Mon May 26 13:42:08 EDT 2014

Woops, hit the wrong  button.

     Why are you writing checks?  Depreciation is just an allocation of
the cost of an asset over a period of time with the benefit of the
allocation expensed, which may have a tax  benefit, only if profit is
made.  Create an expense account called, "Depreciation Expense."

     I have a numerical structure to organize accounts.  10000 accounts
are assets, 20000 are liabilities, 30000 are equity, 40000 are income
and 50000 are expense.  So account 52100 is depreciation expense, 11000
is Truck (as an asset), and account 11500 Accumulated Depreciation -
Truck (your "contra-account"). Say your truck  is $10,000.00 and you
straight line it for 10 years.  (figures aren't actual, just very
simplified).  You Debit 11000 Truck $10,000 and Credit your cash account
(or checking account).  To depreciate, you Credit your Accumulated
Depreciation account $83.33 and Debit Depreciation Expense $83.33.  Why
$83.33? $10,000.00 / 10yrs = $1,000.00 per year.  $1,000.00 per year /
12 months = $83.33 per month.

     I do all my depreciation calculations on a spreadsheet.  Then I
carry the results over to GnuCash.

     In 10 years, when your truck is fully depreciated, your Accumulated
Depreciation will be equal  to your asset.

Greg
former Enrolled Agent (Admitted to practice before the IRS), former tax
accountant.