QIF Import Fails

Keith Bates keith at new-life.org.au
Thu May 29 06:10:44 EDT 2014

On 29/05/14 19:01, Maf. King wrote:
> On Thu 29 May 14 13:51:13 Keith Bates wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to import into gnucash a quite large QIF produced by moneydance.
>> There are several thousand transaction in this file. I have already
>> transferred three smaller files successfully.
>>
>> With this file I get the error "Transaction amount: Unrecognized or
>> inconsistent format.
>>
>> As there is only one instance of the error, I'm hoping that there is only
>> one transaction involved.
>>
>> I've used moneydance to export the file as a CSV then used Libre Office to
>> open this in a spreadsheet.  I searched the transaction amount to see if
>> there were any non-numerical characters there, as this had been one problem
>> someone had had.
>>
>> Now I'm stuck. What else should I be looking for? How should I search for
>> this needle in a haystack?
> Hi Keith,
>
> I'm not well versed in the format of a QIF file, but from what I've understood
> from the list is that it is a text file, with each transaction in a self-
> contained block.
>
> Can you split the file roughly in half, and try to import each section? - if
> it is a single error, then half should come in and half fail.  split the
> failed half in half again and so on until you get to a small chunk of QIF data
> containing the error.... might be worth doing this with a dummy GC file, or
> taking a backup and then going back to do a big import once the error is
> isolated.
>
> HTH,
> Maf.

Thanks Maf.

I tried this but it seems the error must be occurring multiple times.

I divided the file into several chunks, the first of which just
contained the initial account structure, and then two other blocks with
the about half the transactions each. The one with the account structure
was accepted but the other two were rejected with the same error.

I did a visual check against a different qif file which was happily
accepted, but I can't see any obvious difference.

--
God bless you
Keith Bates

Jesus is the Way