QIF Import Fails

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Thu May 29 05:01:07 EDT 2014

On Thu 29 May 14 13:51:13 Keith Bates wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to import into gnucash a quite large QIF produced by moneydance.
> There are several thousand transaction in this file. I have already
> transferred three smaller files successfully.
>
> With this file I get the error "Transaction amount: Unrecognized or
> inconsistent format.
>
> As there is only one instance of the error, I'm hoping that there is only
> one transaction involved.
>
> I've used moneydance to export the file as a CSV then used Libre Office to
> open this in a spreadsheet.  I searched the transaction amount to see if
> there were any non-numerical characters there, as this had been one problem
> someone had had.
>
> Now I'm stuck. What else should I be looking for? How should I search for
> this needle in a haystack?

Hi Keith,

I'm not well versed in the format of a QIF file, but from what I've understood
from the list is that it is a text file, with each transaction in a self-
contained block.

Can you split the file roughly in half, and try to import each section? - if
it is a single error, then half should come in and half fail.  split the
failed half in half again and so on until you get to a small chunk of QIF data
containing the error.... might be worth doing this with a dummy GC file, or
taking a backup and then going back to do a big import once the error is
isolated.

HTH,
Maf.