Check Printing in GNU Cash

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 10:03:51 EST 2014

On 11/3/2014 2:48 PM, Ganesh Joshi wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to print routing number on check using GnuCash.
> I edited one of my .chk file as below
>
> [Top]
> Guid = 67b144d1-96a5-48d5-9337-0e1083bbf229
> Title = Quicken/QuickBooks (tm) US-Letter
> Rotation = 0.0
> Translation = 0.0;4.0
> Show_Grid = false
> Show_Boxes = false
>
> [Check Positions]
> Height = 252.0
> Names = Top;Middle;Bottom
>
> [Check Items]
> Type_1 = PAYEE
> Coords_1 = 90.0;102.0;400.0;20.0
>
> Type_2 = AMOUNT_WORDS
> Coords_2 = 90.0;132.0
>
> Type_3 = AMOUNT_NUMBER
> Blocking_Chars_3 = true
> Coords_3 = 500.0;102.0
>
> Type_4 = DATE
> Coords_4 = 500.0;67.0
>
> Type_5 = NOTES
> Coords_5 = 50.0;212.0
>
> Type_6 = ADDRESS
> Coords_6 = 90.0;192.0
>
> Type_7 = TEXT
> Text_7 = *:|123456|:*
> Coords_7 = 100.0;192.0
>

> My question is how to print routing number in MICR format ??
> i.e.  starts with special symbol  :|   1234556  |:

As far as I know, MICR is a special font that you will probably not find
loose in the internet.  To be compliant with United States ACH
standards, it also must be printed with a special magnetic ink and in a
specific size and location on the check paper.

Speaking of check paper, your supplier of blank check forms knows where
to get the special software and ink that you need to do it legally.

David C