processing payments/ pre-payment

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Wed Nov 5 13:04:23 EST 2014

On Wednesday 05 November 2014 10:38:31 mark wrote:
> I tried to seach for an explanation of this - as I'm sure others have
> encountered the issue - but so far no luck. I just up graded to 2.6.4
> yesterday but this problem goes back to the previous version I had
> installed which I believe was 2.6.3.
>
> I noticed recently that I was getting bill due reminders for bills I
> was pretty sure had been paid. A couple days ago I processed a bunch
> of APs and while the payment showed in the AP register and the money
> came out of the checking account the bill shows up in the reminder as
> due. I clicked on Process payment to see what that might reveal and I
> get the option to pay again or there is this pre-payment option that
> seems to want to to issue a refund. I enter all bills using
> business/vendor/new bill and process all payments using the proceess
> payment link on the bill.  I'm pretty careful about entering correct
> dates on transactions, less so about what payment terms maybe entered
> for a vendor. No idea where this came from but would like to get rid
> of these notifications. As many of the transactions have been
> cleared/reconciled I don't want to mess that up. Today I noticed that
> this feature is dreding up paid invoices from as long ago and 2012.
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Mark

Hi Mark,

The most likely cause for this situation is that you have at some point unposted a bill that had
been paid already. When you do this the payment is decoupled from the bill and will show up in
the payment dialog window as a pre-payment. Once you repost the bill the payment is not
automatically associated with this bill.

There are a couple of ways to fix this, all with the same end result. Assuming you have pre-
payments of the same value as you have unpaid bills, here is one:
- Open the bill for which you want to reconnect the payment.
- Click on Process Payment
- In the Process Payment window, select both the bill and the pre-payment that should go
along with it. You can do so by first clicking on one of them and then click on the second one
while holding the control key.
This should change the amount to pay to 0 and the account list under Transfer account should
get greyed out.
- Now click ok.
This will link your payment and your bill together again without touching any or your
cleared/reconciled statuses.

Does this help ?

Regards,

Geert