GNUcash - Bank statement short

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Wed Nov 5 13:28:14 EST 2014

On Wed 5 November 14 12:36:26 David Whiteley wrote:
> Our art group bank statement for September is short $8 on a $128 deposit.
> This will be corrected by the bank in the November bank statement.
>
> What are the proper procedures to make the September and November
> Reconciliations zero?

Hi David,

The answer to the above is "it depends on your tax authorities", if they have
any requirement to know about your group.

for my personal accounts, I would let Sept & Oct reconcilliations be off by
£8, knowing that it will come good in Nov.  Alternatively, you could split the
deposit into £120 to match the bank, and stick a future dated £8 transaction
with notes about bank errors and it being a delayed sept. txn..

I'd also be glad that I'd spotted the bank's mistake, and if GC had been
involved in showing their error, I would be happy that I hadn't just
downloaded their transaction list and imported it to GC.

HTH,
Maf.