Deposits Report

Aaron Laws dartme18 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 11:40:53 EST 2014

On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 9:40 AM, Aaron Laws <dartme18 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Now then, I think I can begin to try to reproduce this. I'll take a look
> at creating a minimum example, and get back with you later.

Attached is a .gnucash file with what seems to me to be a minimum working
example. It has a Bus Fund, a General Fund, a Missions Fund, and the Manse
Reimbursable account. Your original question was "I'd like a report that
totals the deposits by the accounts they went into, whether it be an asset
or an income account." First, this question betrays some misunderstanding
of account type. You really shouldn't want a report like this that treats
the different account types the same way. So, in my example, to get a
listing of what happened to the General Fund, Missions, and Manse
Reimbursable (all assets!), run a Transaction Report and select those
accounts. If you only want summary information, as I understand it, you'll
need to run different reports for each account. Do a Cash Flow report on
the General Fund account to see each account that affected its balance at
any time, and a summary. Unfortunately, I don't see in the report anything
that indicates which account is the subject of the report. It's important
to note that, given a greater-than-two-line transaction, you can't exactly
tell whither or whence the money is moving. You can say, "Money comes from
accounts A,B,C and goes into D,E,F.". It's impossible to deduce that money
is going from A to E and from B to D and F, and from C to D without
splitting the transactions. To see this, do a Cash Flow report choosing the
Bus Fund. You'll see that 1540 goes into said account, and 1528 from which
is outrageous :-). You can also run this report on Revenue accounts, but
the result is confusing because it's a Credit-balance account.

Do you understand the example? Do you disagree with or have questions about
anything in it?

Although you said that you understand double-entry accounting quite well, I
would beg you to reconsider. Double-entry accounting means more than the
five account types and whether a debit increases or decreases said account,
and the fact that "debits must equal credits". Double-entry accounting is
an encoding for the Accounting Formula, and everything it represents. For
instance, it is nearly sure that treating Sunday morning donations as an
Accounts Receivable is a mistake. If you have pledges or something along
that line then that's fine, but otherwise, please do read the gnucash
guide. You've been referred to it by a few people a few times now ;-). It's
light reading that can be done with a full-time family, and a full-time job
(I know because I did it at the beginning of this year and enjoyed it
immensely).