First account qfx balance issues

uminded iceblu3710 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 22:01:32 EST 2014

I am trying to learn gnucash and am having a difficult time even getting
things set up correctly.

I have an an account setup and I put the opening balance as what the account
has as of the qfx download. When I import the file I do not get the proper
account balance. I tried moving the opening balance date to one transaction
before the qfx and adjusting the value to match but it still does not
balance out correctly.

I would like to import a qfx file every weekend from my online banking (it
does not support direct downloading) but gnucash is VERY unfriendly to this
setup for me.

Is there a tutorial or personal finances walkthrough I can follow, the
manual has you manually entering each transaction like a chequebook which is
ridiculous for my uses.