building gnucash with guile-1.8

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Tue Nov 18 10:14:53 EST 2014

On Tuesday 18 November 2014 06:49:43 John Ralls wrote:
> > On Nov 18, 2014, at 1:00 AM, Geert Janssens
> > <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> wrote:>

> >> The download link on gnucash.org.
> >
> > Hmm, so you started from the release tarball ?
> >
> > @John:
> > Did you generate the tarball against guile 2.0 ? That would mean the
> > GUILE_PROGS macro in configure.ac would have been expanded from the
> > guile-2.0 sources and possibly causing this issue.
>
> Yes, I think I did. That would be a Guile bug if you're right,
> configuration macros should be version neutral.

Reading the generated configure file at some point the value of GUILE_EFFECTIVE_VERSION is
evaluated. If that environment variable is not set it defaults to 2.0 (again from the configure
file). It is then checked if the version of guile as found is >= to this effective version. Guile 1.8
obviously is not, resulting in the error message Stuart gets. That's why I suggested to set
GUILE_EFFECTIVE_VERSION. Although I don't know if that would work or not.

I'm not really good with m4 language. Reading guile.m4 however it looks like we could fix this
in our configure.ac by using [GUILE_PROGS ([1.8])] instead of just [GUILE_PROGS] in the test
block for guile 1.8.

> > Is there a way to recreate configure from configure.ac starting from
> > the tarball ?
> Yes, just run autoreconf -f.
Ah, that may be the best solution then.

Geert