Stock price alerts using GNC-FQ

Edward Doolittle edward.doolittle at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 12:43:10 EST 2014

I don't think gnucash is the right tool for that job. For monitoring an
investment portfolio, I suggest looking at Google spreadsheets with the
GoogleFinance() function for real-time(ish) quotes. I believe recent
versions of Excel have similar functionality.

However, buy and sell orders would have to be independently tracked in both
the spreadsheet and in gnucash, which could be a minor or major irritation
(depending upon the rate at which the orders are produced). I suspect it
would be easier to enter the data from trade confirmation documents into
gnucash and write scripts to automatically transfer data to the spreadsheet
rather than vice versa.