Organizing by what amounts for whom.

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 09:27:07 EST 2014

On 11/21/2014 6:16 PM, hettinger wrote:
> I'm new to accounting, my girlfriend and I spend money independently and I
> keep records of our transactions in a gnucash file.  Is there some way I can
> categorize whether the item was for her or for me, or for both of us?  I
> have already split apart the bank accounts into their separate pieces, do I
> need to make a separate account for each transaction or is there some way to
> code it into the description?  I could see how this could be useful for
> businesses too: a company might order supplies but if one employee
> consistently uses more from the same account it may be indicative that they
> are being wasteful or stealing. Is there a way to do this under employees?
> Please help, thank you for your time in advance.
>

> --

As you suspect, the feature of having a second level of 'categories'
does not exist in GnuCash.  The most common work-around is to create
sub-accounts.  For example, Automobile:Gas:2009Prius,
Automobile:Gas:2013Ferrarri.
It may be best to stick to the old fashioned methods of keeping separate
checking accounts and chipping in to a joint account for expenses that
you are willing to share.

Go to https://gnucash.uservoice.com/forums/101223-feature-request and
vote for the enhancement of your choice, but don't expect a quick
response unless you have a skill to contribute to help make it happen.

David C