Cash versus Accrual Accounting

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Fri Oct 3 10:08:49 EDT 2014

John Morris wrote:

>  So, does anyone have ideas of how to make cash accounting work in GnuCash? I found http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Cash_Based_Accounting suggesting that GnuCash support for cash-based accounting is still in the discussion stage, so I don't expect to find a setting anywhere.

It isn't that gnucash doesn't support cash based accounting (it does)
but that the "business features" extension doesn't. I doubt it will make
you feel any better, but even the "accrual" business features don't
support some bits (and this is true for many of the commercial
alternatives). For example, there is no way to have invoices indicating
some items not "due" till a future date and so those show up in the
"overdue" reports before they should <<for example, a non-profit often
has PLEDGES made to it and those ARE "receivables" as a pledge is
technically enforceable. But a pledge might be in the form $1000/year
for the next five years and that is NOT the same as $5000 due
immediately. Ideally the non-profit would like to be able to produce
statements showing any balance due NOW. Trust me, I see statements from
non-profits using this or that commercial product getting this wrong>>

What you want here is an invoice feature separate from "receivables".

Suggestion. Gnucash MIGHT be able to deliver what you want via a set of
subsidiary books. In other words, separate from your main books (used to
show income and expenses for tax purposes, kept on a cash basis) you
might be able to devise a set of books for "billing" kept on an accrual
basis that would let you produce invoices and the aging reports, etc. I
haven't put on my analyst hat enough to see exactly how best to be done
and of course there is the added work of entering the incoming payments
in two places, but I think would be possible. In large systems would be
a separate receivables system that fed the main books instead of
manually entering twice.

Michael D Novack, FLMI