Does GnuCash possess a Journal Entry numbering facility

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Oct 6 11:13:05 EDT 2014

Michael Hendry <hendry.michael at gmail.com> writes:

> On 4 Oct 2014, at 14:12, David Britton <bbaruu at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Me? Patch? Code? Submit?  What fresh, new Hell that would be, Derek!  LOL
>> Tx for the thought, though.
>>
>> David
>

> I had come to a similar conclusion in 2011, and adopted the
> work-around I described earlier.
>
> The word “patch” suggests a minor alteration, but this would be a
> major upheaval, and even if I had intimate knowledge of the code I
> would hesitate even to consider it.

I'm not convinced it would be a MAJOR alteration.  You would need to:

1) add the data field to the Transaction object, and figure out how to
   best store it.
2) Store a global counter (we already have space for these)
3) Use the counter every time a transaction gets posted (well, the first
   time) to fill in the field
4) (optional) add a way to view the value from the register.

Note:  what do you do if you later delete a transaction?

> Judging from the traffic on the list at the moment, there are several
> pressing problems demanding developer time.

This is very true.