Online Price Retrieval not working for US markets (and only US markets)

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 09:33:54 EDT 2014

On 10/6/2014 7:52 PM, nvsoar wrote:
> On 10/5/2014 2:37 PM, Erik Colson wrote:
>> Wei Chian Ong <weichianong at yahoo.com.au> writes:
>>
>>> I am able to get stock price updates for all markets, ASX, SGX, LSE
>>> using Finance::Quote and ActivePerl, but for some reason, I am unable
>>> to get US stock prices. I constantly get the message "Unable to
>>> retrieve quotes for these items:"
>>>
>>> I cannot understand why it works for every market except the US
>>> markets. I have used every single US source, as well as trying
>>> multiple. I have tried the local timezone as well as the NY
>>> timezone. I have tried uninstalling Perl and re-installing the latest
>>> version, both regular and 64 bit. I have tried un-installing GNU Cash
>>> and re-installing, the original version was 2.6.1 and I just installed
>>> 2.6.3. I have absolutely no idea what step to try next.
>>>
>>> If anyone could possibly point me in the right direction it would be
>>> much appreciated.
>> Hi,
>>
>> What are the _exact_ symbols you are trying to retrieve ?
>>
>> best
> Try entering the stock id characters in upper case.
> nvsoar

Wei Chian Ong,

Another avenue to investigate is whether your computer is actually able
to connect to U.S. servers for those sources.  I know that if I use an
anonymization service such as Tor and it makes it look like I am in
another country, I sometimes have trouble connecting to some U.S. servers.

As an aside, I have not figured out how to force GnuCash or F:Q to use a
proxy if needed to get through a firewall.  If that is possible, I would
like to see the method posted in the FAQ section.  I suppose that it may
vary depending on the OS and possibly other factors.

David C