Does GnuCash possess a Journal Entry numbering facility

Buddha Buck blaisepascal at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 13:49:54 EDT 2014

If I recall correctly, the existing gnucash data file format for
transactions includes a unique transaction id, a date posted, and a
datetime entered, while the individual splits can include a datetime
reconciled.

Not all these fields are exposed in the UI, but they probably are in the
API.

What purpose would be served by a new journal entry counter that couldn't
be served by these?

"Choosing to export the JE# field along with its Date permits searching for
subsequent JEs that predate a
reconciled balance so as to show the "offending" entry." could be done by
looking for searching for transactions which have a date-posted before the
reconciliation date, and a date-entered after the reconciliation date.

The unique transaction ID already serves as a unique identifier for a
transaction.

Or is there a difference between a journal entry and a transaction I'm not
aware of?