Does GnuCash possess a Journal Entry numbering facility

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Oct 8 13:58:44 EDT 2014

Buddha,

Buddha Buck <blaisepascal at gmail.com> writes:

> If I recall correctly, the existing gnucash data file format for transactions
> includes a unique transaction id, a date posted, and a datetime entered, while
> the individual splits can include a datetime reconciled.
>
> Not all these fields are exposed in the UI, but they probably are in the API.
>
> What purpose would be served by a new journal entry counter that couldn't be
> served by these?
>
> "Choosing to export the JE# field along with its Date permits searching for
> subsequent JEs that predate a
> reconciled balance so as to show the "offending" entry." could be done by
> looking for searching for transactions which have a date-posted before the
> reconciliation date, and a date-entered after the reconciliation date.
>
> The unique transaction ID already serves as a unique identifier for a
> transaction.
>
> Or is there a difference between a journal entry and a transaction I'm not
> aware of?

The idea is to have a monotonically increasing "transaction number" so
you can map the transaction in gnucash to a real-world file.  You can
easily see if you're missing documentation in the file by seeing that
you have a gap in your records.

Using the GUID, while giving your uniqueness, is also random so does not
give you an easy way to find said gaps.  Nor is there any particular
order to them.

You could use the date-posted, date-entered, and GUID combined to create
a mononotonically increasing transaction id.  That would give you the
ordering, but you still don't get a way to see gaps of missing
documentation.

-derek