Demerger of company - how to record?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Oct 19 18:09:06 EDT 2014

> On Oct 19, 2014, at 2:30 PM, David Carlson <david.carlson.417 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 10/19/2014 12:03 PM, John Ralls wrote:

>>> John,
>>>
>>> Could you elaborate on the details?  For starters, this is not a split
>>> because both Security A and Security B shares will continue to exist
>>> after the demerger.  Security A is in an account denominated in Security
>>> A shares.  It would be incorrect to denominate the Security B in the
>>> same shares.  So where, exactly do the shares get converted?  Is there a
>>> need to have a sale and purchase to complete the documentation?
>> David,
>>
>> It's not a split in this case because the total number of shares remains the same. In cases where the number of shares changes then you split the source stock to get the right total number of shares before doing the transfer. The transfer between accounts accomplishes the change in commodity from A to B; remember that commodities are associated with accounts.
>>
>> Whether you need a sale and purchase depends on whether the spin-off results in a taxable event: If it is, do it as a sale and purchase instead of a direct transfer. The letter from the company explaining the transaction will tell you whether it's taxable or not, though if it's a foreign company and you're invested directly in the foreign market rather than via a local derivative (e.g. an ADR), you should consult an accountant with experience in foreign investments on the tax treatment. If it's a local derivative you'll get your letter from the institution backing the derivative instead of from the company, and the structure of the deal is likely to be different from the one that actual shareholders get.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls
>>

> John,
>
> I had to interrupt my question to run an errand, so here in the second
> part.
>
> If it is even possible to transfer shares directly from one security
> account to another account denominated as a different security when the
> securities have different per-share values, will this balance out so
> that the gain or loss that is needed to make the trial balance is correct?
>
> I think that Divakar Ramachandran 's original question was about the
> detailed structure of the transaction(s).
>
> If I understand your example, you are saying to create a two line
> transaction with one line adding the actual number of shares of BSTOCK
> resulting from the de-merger at a price derived from the ratio of the
> de-merger times the original cost basis of the ASTOCK, not the current
> value.
>
> Then another line having a negative number of shares of ASTOCK equal to
> the positive number of shares of BSTOCK  at a price equal to the
> original cost basis amount of the ASTOCK minus the just-entered amount
> for the BSTOCK divided by the remaining number of shares of ASTOCK,
> [...]

David,

Not quite. The price and debit/credit value in the transaction must be the same, and it's the price and value of the new calculated basis of the "B" stock; anything else will make the transaction unbalanced.

With the splits closed it looks like this:

This makes it obvious that your basis in A is 20000 - 7800, or 12200.

And with them open:

Gnucash can't figure out that the price entered for the B stock isn't the one that applies to the A stock, so you have to go in and correct it in the price DB. Yes, your point that the prices we're dealing with here are derived from the original purchase price of the A stock and not the current price of either is important. Except in rare circumstances at large financial institutions current prices have nothing to do with book value, even when splits or spin-offs affect the number of shares you hold.

As always with reports you need to be careful with the Price Source. You'll get weird results if you select anything but "Nearest in time".