Demerger of company - how to record?

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 19:55:47 EDT 2014

On 10/19/2014 5:09 PM, John Ralls wrote:

>> On Oct 19, 2014, at 2:30 PM, David Carlson
>> <david.carlson.417 at gmail.com <mailto:david.carlson.417 at gmail.com>> wrote:

>>> David,
>>>
>>> It's not a split in this case because the total number of shares
>>> remains the same. In cases where the number of shares changes then
>>> you split the source stock to get the right total number of shares
>>> before doing the transfer. The transfer between accounts
>>> accomplishes the change in commodity from A to B; remember that
>>> commodities are associated with accounts.
>>>
>>> Whether you need a sale and purchase depends on whether the spin-off
>>> results in a taxable event: If it is, do it as a sale and purchase
>>> instead of a direct transfer. The letter from the company explaining
>>> the transaction will tell you whether it's taxable or not, though if
>>> it's a foreign company and you're invested directly in the foreign
>>> market rather than via a local derivative (e.g. an ADR), you should
>>> consult an accountant with experience in foreign investments on the
>>> tax treatment. If it's a local derivative you'll get your letter
>>> from the institution backing the derivative instead of from the
>>> company, and the structure of the deal is likely to be different
>>> from the one that actual shareholders get.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> John Ralls
>>>

>> John,
>>
>> I had to interrupt my question to run an errand, so here in the second
>> part.
>>
>> If it is even possible to transfer shares directly from one security
>> account to another account denominated as a different security when the
>> securities have different per-share values, will this balance out so
>> that the gain or loss that is needed to make the trial balance is
>> correct?
>>
>> I think that Divakar Ramachandran 's original question was about the
>> detailed structure of the transaction(s).
>>
>> If I understand your example, you are saying to create a two line
>> transaction with one line adding the actual number of shares of BSTOCK
>> resulting from the de-merger at a price derived from the ratio of the
>> de-merger times the original cost basis of the ASTOCK, not the current
>> value.
>>
>> Then another line having a negative number of shares of ASTOCK equal to
>> the positive number of shares of BSTOCK  at a price equal to the
>> original cost basis amount of the ASTOCK minus the just-entered amount
>> for the BSTOCK divided by the remaining number of shares of ASTOCK,
>> giving a total amount equal to the original cost basis amount minus the
>> just-entered amount for the BSTOCK in the line for the removal of ASTOCK
>> shares.  If the numbers do not work out exactly, let GnuCash adjust the
>> prices rather than the amounts or numbers of shares.
>>
>> Then you continue to say to go to the price editor and verify (or add it
>> if necessary) a price for ASTOCK equal to the price that appears in that
> [...]

John,

Thank you for the clarification.

So in a real world data file in the register view of security account A
the first transaction would have been entered sometime in the past when
A was purchased or it might actually be the net of several purchases and
sales, which would match the balance amount of shares before the
spin-off.  The new transaction might be separated from it by several
unrelated transactions such as dividends which could be there to make
the advanced portfolio reports more accurate.

David C