Deleting old expense accounts

Dennis Shimer dshimer at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 08:59:31 EDT 2014

I have a file which includes some old, essentially permanently closed
expense accounts.  I would like to remove them from view in all the daily
reporting activities but want to keep a record of them.  I have a category
that would make it easy to create a holding archive for all these
transactions if I used a "Delete and move transactions" action on these
accounts. My thought is that I would make sure that all transactions on
these accounts have the full account number and name in the memo line the
transactions or splits that they are part of then delete and move.  I have
tested this and it seems to work fine and meet my needs but I hate to get
tunnel vision just because it is the first thing I thought up.  My question
is...

Are there any down sides, potential problems, or better practice that I am
missing?  Or are there questions I didn't consider in developing this plan.

If this is a reasonable approach there is one thing that will cause some
manual work.  I have splits that obviously reference the original account
but were not documented in the memo. I have come up with a procedure that
is quite quick and easy to add the memos in a text editor using the
.gnucash file.  I have tested it on a copy and seems to work fine but here
again why work if you don't have to.

Is there a way to automatically or easily transfer the account name into
the memo line from within gnucash?  Or is there a way to do this if a
person were willing to use python on the gnucash file?

Dennis