GNUCash: Employee Reports

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Wed Sep 3 15:40:36 EDT 2014

On Monday 19 May 2014 17:15:23 Harmanpreet Singh wrote:
> I just started using GNUCash for my startup business and now facing
> few problems with 'employee reports'.
>
> I want to generate report for each employee that would include all
> types of payments paid to him (monthly salary, conveyance charges)
> right from the date of his joining.
>
> I am aware about the process payment option under Business > Employee
>
> > Process Payment but I am not sure if it is a correct way to record
>
> their salaries. Further, I read GNUCash documentation, they said, in
> order to pay employee make a split transaction. If I move as per the
> documentation still am not able to see all payments made to employee.
>
> Please let me know if I am missing or doing something wrong.
>
> Thanks!

I'm going through a backlog of mails and I didn't see an answer to this mail...

I'm glad you have found the gnucash business functions.

There seems to be a misunderstanding in the employee options though. These are not intended
to handle employee salaries. Instead the employee options are intended to handle expenses an
employee made on behalf of the company and that need to be reimbursed to the employee.

If you really want to handle employee salaries and can live without the complexities that
usually surround payroll, you could define your employees as "vendors" to your company and
record their salaries as bills.

Can that work for you ?

Regards,

Geert