How should I record outstanding expenses in GnuCash?

absconditus absconditus absconditus87 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 11:25:54 EDT 2014

Thanks a bunch Kevin. This seems to work. Would this be an accurate
representation of the above transactions?

If Assets - Liabilities = Equity + Income - Expenses

    10 - 5 = 5 + 0 - 0

then

A) On the day the bill is due:

  10 - (5+3) = 5 + 0 - (0+3)

  10 - 8 = 5 + 0 - 3

B) On the day the bill is paid

  (10-3) - (8-3) = 5 + 0 - (0+3)

If the above is true, would not transaction B contradict the following rule:

"The two Income and Expense Accounts are used to increase or decrease
the value of your accounts. Thus, while the balance sheet accounts
simply track the value of the things you own or owe, income and
expense accounts allow you to change the value of these accounts."
http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.4/C/gnucash-guide/accts-concepts1.html#accts-bsa2

This on the grounds that we are changing both Balance Sheet Accounts
without using Income and Expense accounts.

I am trying to understand what is taking place, as opposed to simply
being able to repeat it.

PS I apologise if anyone receives the email twice. New to mailing lists.