Invoice Formatting gone haywire

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Mon Sep 15 05:00:12 EDT 2014

On Sunday 14 September 2014 20:59:10 Adam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 12/09/2014 00:45, Adam wrote:
> > How can I get GNUCash back to a default installation and how can I
> > get my invoices looking sensible?
>
> Can anyone help with this? Just finding out how to get a clean install
> of GNUCash would be great.

You haven't mentioned which version of Windows and GnuCash you are using though and
where you downloaded GnuCash from. That would be useful to know.

> If I uninstall and reinstall GNUCash, and then "print" an invoice,
> this is what I get:
> http://www.snowstone.org.uk/temp/corruptinvoice.pdf
>
> I'd very much like it to look like the standard one at section 12.6.5
> here:
> http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.4/C/gnucash-guide/bus-ar-invoices1.htm
>
> E.g.:
> - without multiple blank line
> - without unreadable characters
> - without my phone number floating around in the middle of the page
> - with a plain font, rather than a frilly one
> - with my address on the top right, not underneath the customer's

Your invoice does look quite messed up indeed. There may be a couple of issues going on here.

GnuCash ships four different invoice layouts. You can find them all under Report->Business:
Easy Invoice
Fancy Invoice
Printable Invoice
Tax Invoice

The layout of your "corruptinvoice.pdf" is based on the Fancy Invoice layout. The invoice in the
docs you refer to uses the Easy or Printable Invoice layout.

You can configure which layout you want to use when clicking on the print invoice button. For
this go to Edit->Preferences and select the Business tab. You will find an option "Report for
printing" there which you can change to your preferred invoice layout.

Then for the unreadable characters. I have seen other users report that the default font used
for displaying the reports sometimes causes poor results on Windows. You can change this as
well. For this go to "Edit->Style Sheets" and adjust the font settings for the style sheet in use by
your report. If you are unsure which style sheet that is, you can open an invoice for printing and
then look in the report options for that invoice.

Can you try these ?

Geert