Having experienced all of the benefits...

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 09:02:04 EDT 2014

On 15 September 2014 13:09, Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> wrote:
> On Monday 15 September 2014 04:51:49 Steve wrote:
>> Obviously (?) the fact that there does not exist a full fledge working
>> version of GnuCash on mobile, and clearly (?) that is the direction
>> where "we" are headed.  Having an app that simply records charges and
>> provides an export/import facility, is not it.
>>
> Thanks, that's clear now.
>
> And I'm eager myself to see a port of gnucash to mobile/tablet. It's undeniably a form factor
> that complements traditional computers and laptops and always within reach.
>
> The code base as it is currently however is not portable to android at all so it's no use trying to
> port what we have now to that platform.

There is no need to contemplate a port of the s/w.  I believe the
principle requirement is for a json http interface to allow
interrogation and updates to the database.  Then the mobile app can be
built on that, starting with basic features such as transaction entry
and account summary display.  In the short term there would need to be
a lock to prevent remote access while gnucash itself was running as
currently it would not cope with the database being updated under its
feet.

Colin