GnuCash Unable to Import Mutliple Currencies

Tom Balazs tom123online at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 04:25:35 EDT 2014

>From my research and from correspondence with Ngewi Fet
https://github.com/codinguser/gnucash-android/issues/216
it seems to me that anyone who has a GnuCash Desktop with multiple
currencies and later needs to import a QIF file with multiple currencies
will run into problems
This would include ANY QIF exported out of ANY application (Android phone,
IPhone, Macintosh, etc.)

Please read below and tell me if I understand this correctly.

Ngewi  wrote:
> QIF file has no place to record currency. When importing to GnuCash,
GnuCash
> lets you choose what currency they are in, and all transactions and
accounts in
> the QIF file would be treated as they are in that currency. If they don't
match
> the corresponding account currency in GnuCash, there may be a problem.

This is a problem. If I have created all my accounts correctly on GnuCash
Desktop and imported all them correctly to GnuCash Android. I will then
have:

1. GnuCash Desktop
1.A. Checking Account 1 (Currency A)
1.B. Checking Account 2 (Currency B)

2. GnuCash Android
2.A. Checking Account 1 (Currency A)
2.B. Checking Account 2 (Currency B)

Up to here everything is working fine.
But when I export out of GnuCash Android and then attempt to import all
that to GnuCash Desktop, then GnuCash Desktop forces me to choose one (and
ONLY one) currency for all the transactions I'm importing. So, if I choose
"Currency A" for all transactions then GnuCash desktop forces
GnuCash Android: 2.B. Checking Account 2 (Currency B)
into becoming "Currency A". And when it tries to put those transactions
into the correct place in GnuCash Desktop, there is a conflict.

Please help me to resolve this problem.