GnuCash Unable to Import Mutliple Currencies

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Sep 16 10:52:39 EDT 2014

Hi,

Tom Balazs <tom123online at gmail.com> writes:

>>From my research and from correspondence with Ngewi Fet
> https://github.com/codinguser/gnucash-android/issues/216
> it seems to me that anyone who has a GnuCash Desktop with multiple
> currencies and later needs to import a QIF file with multiple currencies
> will run into problems
> This would include ANY QIF exported out of ANY application (Android phone,
> IPhone, Macintosh, etc.)
>
> Please read below and tell me if I understand this correctly.
>
> Ngewi  wrote:
>> QIF file has no place to record currency. When importing to GnuCash,
> GnuCash
>> lets you choose what currency they are in, and all transactions and
> accounts in
>> the QIF file would be treated as they are in that currency. If they don't
> match
>> the corresponding account currency in GnuCash, there may be a problem.
>
> This is a problem. If I have created all my accounts correctly on GnuCash
> Desktop and imported all them correctly to GnuCash Android. I will then
> have:
>
> 1. GnuCash Desktop
> 1.A. Checking Account 1 (Currency A)
> 1.B. Checking Account 2 (Currency B)
>
> 2. GnuCash Android
> 2.A. Checking Account 1 (Currency A)
> 2.B. Checking Account 2 (Currency B)
>
> Up to here everything is working fine.
> But when I export out of GnuCash Android and then attempt to import all
> that to GnuCash Desktop, then GnuCash Desktop forces me to choose one (and
> ONLY one) currency for all the transactions I'm importing. So, if I choose
> "Currency A" for all transactions then GnuCash desktop forces
> GnuCash Android: 2.B. Checking Account 2 (Currency B)
> into becoming "Currency A". And when it tries to put those transactions
> into the correct place in GnuCash Desktop, there is a conflict.
>
> Please help me to resolve this problem.

You will need to get the accounts in different currencies exported into
different QIF files.  Unfortunately that is the only way.  QIF does not
have any way to specify a currency, so there's really nothing we can do.