GnuCash Unable to Import Mutliple Currencies

Tom Balazs tom123online at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 03:28:01 EDT 2014

Derek Atkins wrote:
> You will need to get the accounts in different currencies exported into
> different QIF files.  Unfortunately that is the only way.  QIF does not
> have any way to specify a currency, so there's really nothing we can do.

Is there anyone who would write a script which would take the QIF file I
export out of GnuCash Android and split it into two QIF files according to
each account's currency?

I imagine that such a script would be useful to anyone who needs to import
a QIF with "multiple currencies". I write "multiple currencies" because
technically a QIF doesn't have currencies. However there are work-arounds
(e.g. name accounts "#Yen#_Checking", "#Yen#_Saving", "#USD#_Checking",
"#USD#_Saving", etc.). Then the script to splits the QIF file according to
the "#" tags I put in the account names. The result being two or more QIFs,
which can then be imported separately into GnuCash Desktop.