GnuCash Unable to Import Mutliple Currencies

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Wed Sep 17 04:40:12 EDT 2014

On Wednesday 17 September 2014 10:28:01 Tom Balazs wrote:
> Derek Atkins wrote:
> > You will need to get the accounts in different currencies exported
> > into different QIF files.  Unfortunately that is the only way.  QIF
> > does not have any way to specify a currency, so there's really
> > nothing we can do.
> Is there anyone who would write a script which would take the QIF file
> I export out of GnuCash Android and split it into two QIF files
> according to each account's currency?

I can't offer such a script unfortunately. I do advise you though to file a bug report against
GnuCash on Android. If qif doesn't support multiple currencies, GoA shouldn't be generating
such qif files. It should be up to GoA to generate separate qif files, one per currency.

> I imagine that such a script would be useful to anyone who needs to
> import a QIF with "multiple currencies". I write "multiple
> currencies" because technically a QIF doesn't have currencies.
> However there are work-arounds (e.g. name accounts "#Yen#_Checking",
> "#Yen#_Saving", "#USD#_Checking", "#USD#_Saving", etc.). Then the
> script to splits the QIF file according to the "#" tags I put in the
> account names. The result being two or more QIFs, which can then be
> imported separately into GnuCash Desktop.

For me this is backwards for the reason I mentioned before. If I understand it correctly there
shouldn't be any qif files with multiple currencies. The fact that Gnucash on Android generates
them is a bug.

Disclaimer: I don't know zip about qif. My reaction is purely based on what I read in this thread.
So if I'm really talking nonsense, you are free to tell me so :)

Best regards,

Geert