GnuCash 2.6.3 CSV transaction import

nick corbin corbin.nj at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 06:53:22 EDT 2014

Can anyone tell me how to use the column 'Account' in this dialogue? For
example: I want to import a list of transactions reflecting the purchase of
a number of books using my credit card. So I need to update the
'Liabilities:Credit Card' account and the 'Expenses:Books' accounts. In the
CSV file containing the dates and transaction amounts, I include a column
'Account' containing the value "Expenses:Books" (in double quotes), and
select the appropriate column headings in the 'Import Transactions from
CSV' dialogue. In the same dialogue, I specify 'Liabilities:Credit Card' as
the target account. However, on the 'Match Transactions' screen, under
'Info', the system displays the message 'New, UNBALANCED (needs acct to
transfer R123,00'. So clearly my entries in the 'Account' column did not
achieve what I hoped they would. The only way to specify the matching
accounts is to double-click each row in turn. If anyone can assist, I'll be
very grateful. I have searched the web for answers/clues, but with no luck.