Establishing a new line of credit account...

Ken G. beachkidken at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 12:06:18 EDT 2014

I have been using GnuCash for several years now and now I have a
problem. How do I establish a new line of credit account of $500? Is it
an asset for $500 and a liability for zero cents? When I purchased
something say for $5, would I deduct $5 from my asset account showing a
balance of $495 and a liability for $5? I would assume I would start
with an opening balance of $500 debit and $500 credit to Equity account.

Thanking you in advance for your help and suggestion. Gosh, it has been
54 years since I had my high school bookkeeping class.

Regard,

Ken Green